Thursday, September 6, 2007

Now with More Crunch!

Because my life isn't complicated enough, I'm going to start hanging out at the crunchy-granola restaurant and spiff up their baking, maybe one day a week when I don't have an editing job (I have two right now, so it's not going to happen just yet). And, who knows, maybe eventually work there something close to full-time, which would mean quitting the bakery, but also would mean I'd have to be getting even more editing and proofreading work. Meanwhile, Bossman's wife says Bossman needs to talk to me about something, "something good," she said; no telling what that's about. Crunchy-granola place would be an interesting venture--the chance to do some cool stuff, maybe, but it would definitely require more editing work to manage it. It would actually be okay to reverse the balance--say 25 or 30 hours a week at the editing stuff, and another 10 to 20 doing baking stuff. We'll see what happens. It would be somewhat ironic if Bossman came through with a raise as I'm working out how to leave the place; probably also wouldn't stop me from going, though I suppose it could delay things a little. Eh; no sense worrying about it yet--though, of course, I run through endless permutations in my head, most of which end in failure. Actually, it's not so much that they end in failure; it's more that I look for the costs and the downsides, and everything has some of those, and I try to figure out where the weakest parts of these grand plans are.

Too bad I didn't do a very good job of that before getting married and embarking on this particular career change. I didn't do a very good job of it before the other career changes, either, so my track record kinda sucks on this count. It's not that I don't think about what could go wrong, it's that I'm wrong about the things that could go wrong.

In other news, I'm feeling justified for my loathing of fake butter flavor, the smell of which, especially in microwave popcorn, has always made me a little ill.

1 comment:

Orange said...

Is this crunchy-granola restaurant in the Big City or the Smaller City? What's the first letter of its name?