My SIL called a little while ago. Apparently mom has a new kidney installed, and it's already doing kidney-type things, i.e., producing urine. SIL said my brother and dad talked to her in the recovery room, and she was waiting for an ICU room, where she'll be for a couple of days (to make sure it's not rejected, perhaps? dunno).
So, really, I have to avoid going out tonight, because I have this urge to grab complete strangers and tell them, which is probably a little excessive.
One thing that occurred to me today, though, is how technology has changed the way we live--and I don't even mean the installation of previously used organs. When my parents and grandfather were going to and with my sister as she was sick and dying, I basically sat near a phone as much of the time as possible. Transit times--to and from work, for example--were always fraught, because suppose someone called then (and, of course, no answering machine, either). And no call waiting, for that matter (though I don't have that on my land line now, I do have it on my cell), so no tying up the phone lines. For that matter, my mom didn't have to live her life next to a land line, either: she has a cell phone, and maybe a pager? I don't remember.
In any case, she also has a new kidney, so here's a big thank you to everyone who is and has been an organ donor, and to the doctors and researchers who figured out how to do this, and to the union that provided my parents' health insurance, so my parents could afford to do this. And thank you to all of you, because I know your good wishes have been sent her way, too.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congrats to your mom! May she and her new kidney thrive for many years to come—and may she be able to eat those beloved foods she's had to avoid for a while!
Nice to get some good news! I'm glad to hear this, and I hope things continue to go well.
Post a Comment