Monday, April 12, 2010

Boxing Day

Usually when people say they have no food in the house it's something of an exaggeration, but, in my case, I'm down to club soda, an unopened bottle of wine, some dried cherries, some chocolate, garlic, baby carrots, currant jelly (for glazing things), and the stuff I'm going to dump (capers; outdated salad dressing; some really old mustard).

I inch closer to the everything-is-packed state, but I'm beginning to think that it's one of those conundra--each time I hack at it, I get half of the remaining amount of packing done, which means I'm NEVER GOING TO BE DONE. Which had better not be true, as the movers are going to show up in, let's see, 60 hours, and nothing slows down movers like having crap that's not packed. Friend came by yesterday with his vehicle, and we managed to haul all of the clothes, all of the food, and the cleaning stuff; once we got to the new place, I put away the food and clothes while he vacuumed. That's a little bit of a misrepresentation, because we ended up making a second trip for the rest of the clothes, plus a bunch of them are in a pile in the bedroom, or still in bags, because I don't yet have a place to put the socks and underwear and t-shirts (I've had built-in shelves and drawers for 12 years, and, before that, I had less stuff, plus I either had a dresser or shelves).

So, really, I don't have that much more to do. Tonight I packed three boxes and a duffel bag, plus threw out a bunch of stuff, and then my back/hip was rather excruciating, so I went and found some dinner. I'll try to do a little in the morning, and then finish the rest on Wednesday night, along with a load or two of laundry. I think I'm even going to disassemble the bed on Wednesday, just to make Thursday more relaxed--get up, make some tea, wait for the movers; if I still smoked, I'd have a few cigarettes as I wandered around, checking to make sure i haven't forgotten something in a corner somewhere.

Truthfully, though, it kinda doesn't matter much if I do forget something, as the landlord wouldn't let me out of my lease early. Yeah, pain in the ass, but it also means I'm not giving the keys back until the very last minute, and it means that Friend and I can move the plants next weekend, and it means that if i do forget something, it's not that big a deal. They're letting me use the security deposit as the last month's rent, so I actually don't have to shell out anything. Woulda been nice to get that extra bump--to pay for the movers, for example--but whatevs. A few more days of hassle, and a few days of unpacking, and I'll have a fab new place to live.

It's disorienting, for sure, for multiple reasons: the last time I moved, for example, my marriage and my life were disintegrating around me; I've been in moving mode for two months, ever since I decided to look for a place to buy; and I've done a whole bunch of this whole thing by myself. Friend put in a full day on Sunday, for which I am extremely grateful, and I know that GirlFriend will take me shopping for whatever I need after I'm done moving (she was out of town this weekend), but I've been packing and hauling and boxing for weeks, and I'm tired. Exhilarated, excited, happy, but also tired. But also exhilarated, excited, and happy--and I'll be more of those, once everything is actually in the new place, rather than sitting in piles around me here.

3 comments:

Larry Jones said...

This is good chaos: You're getting somewhere. Literally.

Word verification: Kadivia. I hear it's beautiful this time of year.

kStyle said...

Moving feels like a roller coaster, esp. when you're also buying. Hang on, enjoy the ride, and remember it will end just as suddenly as it started. :)

landismom said...

Good luck with the move. It'll feel better in the end, so it's a good chaos, as Larry says.