The final tally (in number of more-or-less-serving-size packages):
9 lettuce soup
10 curried carrot turnip soup
6 roasted Hakurai turnips
6 roasted purple-top turnips (half w/ garlic & ginger)
18 roasted butternut squash (some roasted w/ honey & ginger)
12 blanched spinach
6 blanched kale
2 blanched broccoli stems
7 blanched broccoli florets
5 sliced and blanched kohlrabi
10 roasted beets
4 blanched chard
The beets were roasted in a little water, but everything else was tossed with a little fat (olive oil, butter, or a combo), sometimes with honey, ginger, maple syrup, or garlic. The only things left in the fridge are cabbages and leeks; there are some potatos in the back closet, and a bag of onions from the store in the fridge as well, plus odds and ends of onions and garlic on the counter. So, with some grains--pasta, bread, rice, farro, barley--and some cheese (which I just bought in moderately mass quantity), I can get by with a very low grocery bill for at least three or four months, maybe more.
My stand-alone freezer is full to the gills, and I ended up having to use the freezer on top of the fridge as well (which I try to avoid, because it's frost-free and therefore wreaks havoc upon frozen foods). I still have half a bag or so of AP flour, plus whole wheat, white whole wheat, and a variety of specialty flours with which I will not bore you (spelt, anyone?), so I can bake, too. (Did I mention that sourdough is magic??)
I wouldn't say that I'm battling depression, because this time of year always sucks for me, for such a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is the relative lack of sunlight. I'm beginning to recognize that I really do need a plan, or a Plan, for how to spend my days. The past three weeks have been a whirl of creating the above pile of packages in the freezer, plus doing long-overdue cleaning tasks, with the occasional social occasion thrown in, but there's no order to it. That's the thing about being unemployed that I hated last time and don't want to recreate this time: the long days that end up being filled with a lot of nothing much, each livend with a dash of fear and a pinch of anxiety. I can spend hours (no lie) thinking that I Should Really Go Work Out--and by "go" I mean "change clothes and walk to the back bedroom"--and never actually do that. I can berate myself off and on for a day about how I should just get on the yoga mat--and never actually do it.
And, frankly, that cycle annoys me more than anything else. I recognize that it comes from the acres of time that stretch in front of me at the moment; when I'm most busy is also when I get the most accomplished, because I make schedules and I stick to them. When I'm just hanging out, I don't have a specific time to accomplish something, so I just . . . don't. This will make me insane if I don't find a way around it.
That, however, will have to wait for another day. I need to pack my crap and head off to the land of cheese and Packers fans. Enjoy whatever holidays, friends, and family members cross your path.
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment