Thursday, February 2, 2012

Do a Happy Dance

To answer Larry's question below, I'm basically saying that there were a lot of changes at the senior management level, which is true, and that we were having difficulty figuring out how best to connect my skills with the organization's needs, which is true-ish. I've had a fair amount of practice saying this in the past week, what with two in-person interviews (to which I will return momentarily) and a phone interview, and I'm suspecting that it's asked mostly to make sure I don't launch into a screed of some kind. And, frankly, though I've kept the severance details private, the fact that I can line up people with whom I worked and who are still there is probably helpful, and I can line up ex-bosses back to the early 1990s probably says something,

So I had a phone screen on Monday, and the woman with whom I spoke called me back later that afternoon and asked me to come in for an interview on Wednesday (yes, yesterday), which I did. Just about 24 hours later, the interviewer/prospective boss called and officially offered me a job. The salary is very decent--it's about what I was making before my last promotion at the old place--and the commute is about the same as the old place (it's two stops more on the train, and maybe two more blocks of walking at the other end), so that's all good. Even better, though, the NewBoss is very very excited to have me on board--obviously, given that s/he turned cartwheels to get the references and everything else done in less than a day.

I start in two weeks, so the vacation is nearly over. I have had time to do some nothing, and I'll have some more time to do that--basically, I will have spent what is usually the worst part of the winter hanging out in my apartment with Loaner Cat, and I have ended up in a job where people are enthusiastic about what I bring to the table. It's a bit of a whirlwind--I really didn't think it would work out this well or this quickly, and especially not well and quickly together. Go figure.

And, hey, I still have a freezer full of veggies, and an active sourdough starter, and a cleaner apartment (well, that one needs some revisiting). I'm going to try to get a new faucet next week, and I might be able to get the fabric to make a curtain for the kitchen window, and then I'll be set for a bit. I'm trying to not get too excited, much as I tried not to get to anxious, but I'm permitting myself a day or two of happy-dancing, for sure.

2 comments:

Orange said...

ZOMG, yay! Hooray! Huzzah! And congratulations! How fabulous for you.

Brunch at m. henry on one of your remaining days of funemployment?

Larry Jones said...

Great news! You go!