Friday, April 6, 2007

Still More Whining!

I am so pathetic.

I've begun to think about possibly maybe embarking on the Find and Get a New Job project, and of course I read job descriptions and eliminate myself from consideration before applying, which makes the "getting" part difficult to accomplish. Sometimes it's because the job requires skills I clearly do not have (I'm not a nurse, for example), and sometimes it's for a part of a university that I suspect would not be a good fit for me (the business school), but just as often it's because I read the description and think they'd never hire me to do that, whatever "that" is. So I read more job descriptions and I get really depressed, because I feel like I'm completely unable to get a job. And then I think about doing more of what I'm doing--somehow staying at the bakery, and doing enough editing and so on--just so I don't have to look for another job, and that makes me nearly frantic. You wouldn't be able to tell that I'm frantic, because I'm being frantic in my head, while I shlep through another 11-hour day at the croissant factory, but frantic I am. On the worst days, like today, I can't even find something else about which I can think, so I'm sheeting dough, or cutting it, or rolling it, or egg-washing it, or whatthefuckever, while I have all these dire thoughts inside my head.

Part of the problem, of course, is those 11-hour days; I end up with almost no time to myself. On a typical day, I get up a little before 5 am, get breakfast, put my bottles of tea for the day in my bag, get dressed, check my email, brush my teeth, and leave for work around 5:45. (I used to shower in the morning, but this week I'm experimenting with showering at night, which gives me an extra few minutes in the morning.) I usually punch in by 6:20 unless I have bad public transportation karma. I take a 20-minute break, usually around 11:30, sometimes later (nearly 1:00 the other day). I've been punching out around 5:15, give or take a half-hour, though occasionally as late as 6:15. I get home by 6:00, sometimes 6:30 or even 7:00. I read my email, I vegetate in front of the computer, maybe do some editing work, take a shower, and go to bed by 10:00. On Mondays I deal with all of the crap--phone calls, appointments, doctors, whatever--that I can't deal with the rest of the week. I do my laundry every other week, usually on Sunday morning, early, and I clean when I can find the energy. I rarely cook anything any more. I don't play handball. i don't practice yoga. On Tuesdays I meet friends for beer and free food, and I occasionally have breakfast or dinner with someone else, but I spend most of my hours in my own head (see above for the pathetic commentary that goes along with that) or working with people with whom I don't share fluency in a language. Even the things that used to provide me with satisfaction--for example, today's croissants were absolutely beautiful, and Bossman praised them extravagantly--provide only transitory moments of pleasure. I'm dreading dealing with the details of this stupid divorce; it's one more slog through a mud field. It occurred to me tonight that I am worse off than I was when I met Chuck, in just about every way you can imagine. I'm older, I make way less money, I have fewer career options, I have more debt (I'd paid off a lot of my student loans), I have less savings, and I have the wreckage of that relationship to survey and the legal wrangling with which to deal.

And then I hear (or read) myself whining, AGAIN, and I feel worse, not least because that's all I seem to do when I try to write here or talk to my friends. Also because there are so many people--including people whose blogs i read and to whose blogs I link--who are dealing with seriously heavy shit (cancer, death of a sibling) and who are doing it with a lot more style, grace, wit, and entertaining writing than i manage to throw up here.

This is a long-winded, whining way of saying that I may be posting even less frequently in the coming weeks. I can't stand it that all i fucking do is whine. I hate it that I try to write a post, because I haven't in forever, and this shit comes spilling out, so I try to think of something else, and my brain just won't go anywhere else. And i don't want to keep on with the whining. And I'm sorry.

4 comments:

Larry Jones said...

You've earned the right, so go ahead.

Also, I need a new job myself, and I do the same thing. I reject myself for all the jobs I read about, and every time I start to search I get depressed and give up, usually without applying for anything, because I don't meet the qualifications. Yet I am surrounded by people at the job I have who are making more money than me, who are happy and confident (some swaggeringly so), and who have no fucking idea what they're doing and could not possibly meet any known published qualifications for the jobs they have.

Some are relatives, of course, but most are incompetents right off the street. Heck, I'm that incompetent. Maybe I should just go and talk my way in somewhere. Maybe you should, too.

(Ha ha: My Word Verification was "ubrsac.")

Narya said...

I totally think you could do that, though: you have an actual job that resembles (presumably) the kind of job you'd want to get, though for a less vile company. I have the kind of resume that gets me thrown into the discard pile by HR people and their checklists, thanks to the stupid decisions I have piled on top of other stupid decisions.

kStyle said...

If you like, send me your resume and I'll forward it to an acquaintence who works in a Chicago-area publishing house. It's infinitely easier to find and obtain a job through networking.

Also: http://www.cwip.org/

Narya said...

You guys rock.

I'm quite serious.

and k, I'm going to take you up on that. And thank you for that link; they'll be getting my dues soon.