Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Aaaaaand now . . . .

of COURSE my mother's in the hospital again. Apparently dad took her at midnight, because her congestive heart failure was sufficiently bad. I don't know details--my brother was my source of info, and he didn't know much either, and I hesitated to try to call my mom because she hadn't slept in a day or two, and of course I'd probably manage to wake her. Basically, her kidney function is such that she is, as my brother put it, on the precipice of needing dialysis, and the least little stress puts her into the congestive heart failure state. To put it bluntly, without a kidney, she's not getting any better. She may be able to maintain for a little while longer, and, if she starts dialysis, she may be able to maintain in that condition for awhile, but there will be no improvement without a kidney, and the decline could be precipitous. So there's that.

Otherwise, I managed to get many errands done yesterday, and today I mailed the one package that needed mailing, plus I called a friend who probably thought I had fallen off the face of the earth, so those bits are going well. One of yesterday's errands was to take my change to one of those coin-counting machines: I keep quarters, of course, but otherwise change just seems like a pain, especially given that I'm usually in chef clothes, so I had been throwing it into a dish. Now I have a Starbucks card worth $16.12, which feels like free money, though, of course, it was my money all along.

Eight days left at the bakery, and only seven of them will include lamination, because I'm showing up this Sunday to be a utility infielder rather than a laminatrix. Despite the incipient panic occasioned by the prospect of having no job whatsoever, I continue to think it's the right thing to do. Terrifying, yes, but it's the only way I can do anything else. Or so I've managed to convince myself. We cut one of the tortas from the other day, and it rocked. I may actually try it at home, though I don't know that I can make a laminated dough without a sheeter at this point. If I do, I'm going to try the orange version. Which means I'd have to share some with anyone named Orange.

1 comment:

Orange said...

Yes, indeed! I reckon the original makers of croissants in olden times didn't have themselves no newfangled sheeter doohickeys, and I'll wager you can figure out how to make a tasty croissant without a sheeter, too.

Sorry to hear your mom's doing so poorly. It sounds like her kidneys just can't manage to balance out the fluids and electrolytes any more, so the CHF is well nigh impossible to manage? If so, that sounds a little like my grandma's situation last year.