Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bodily Manifestations

Love me some zen shiatsu, is what I'm saying. I'm entertained that my practitioner commented again today, reasonably emphatically, that I feel much healthier (to her) now that I'm no longer at the bakery. There were lots of crunchy spots (spleen, stomach, a little gall bladder thrown in, for anyone who cares), but there isn't the overlay of hurt that the bakery was dumping upon me. Even I can feel it, deep inside. Yes, of course I can feel it in the surfacey ways, too--I have more energy, I'm not nearly as stressed, my feet don't ache all the time, etc., etc.--but there's another level to it that I can't explain very well in words but that I can feel in nearly every atom of my being.

In other news, there's an odor in my kitchen that I can neither find nor identify, and therefore also cannot eradicate. It's not garbage, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what else it could be (and it doesn't smell particularly garbagey, for that matter). I'm a little worried that I'm going to find a dead mouse or something, and I suppose I still might, but I'm not entirely convinced that that's what it is, either. It might be plant-based, but it's not quite rotting and not quite blooming, and the smell is consistent in its characteristics, which suggests that it's not changing rapidly, whatever it is. (Let's face it, garbage goes from kinda-can-smell-it to get-me-the-fuck-out-of-here pretty quickly, especially if there's animal carcasses or vegetable peelings or rotting citrus involved.) Either I'm becoming acclimated or it is, in fact, waning a bit, so my intent is to ignore it. Presumably it will be warm enough to open the windows eventually (though we had still more snow today--big fat puffy white clumps coming down out of the sky, turning to grey slush almost immediately).

Tomorrow I want to leave work early-ish, too, so I can go pick up my new glasses--two pair, actually, a pair of reading glasses and a pair of regular glasses. Despite the discounts my eye guy threw in, the two pair plus the eye exam cost me $595. Yes, I am very nearsighted. And astigmatic. And old (i.e., I need bifocals). I'm so nearsighted and astigmatic that I shell out the extra for high-index lenses, else I'd need a little crane arrangement to keep the glasses on my face.

But! The "regular" glasses have a magnetic sunglasses attachment! The magnets are in the temple area of the frames, where the side pieces attach. I'm very excited, especially as racing season is about to begin. Normally I end up wearing my contacts for the races I attend with Friend--or when I do anything else outdoors in the summer, especially--so I can wear sunglasses, but my eyes don't like contact lenses for more than about 12 hours, max, I need reading glasses on top if I want to, say, read a map (or anything else), and sometimes the fumes and such from the event irritate my contact-clad eyes, so now I can wear glasses instead, without having to have a whole separate pair of sunglasses. Did I mention that I'm excited by this?

And racing season has, in fact, begun: the first two Formula 1 races have already occurred (Australia and Malaysia), and the Indy cars start this weekend. Though I won't be able to see an F1 race (because the F1 cars aren't running in the U.S. this year), and Champ cars are being folded back into the Indy thing (which also means no Champ cars at RoadAmerica this year), apparently Friend has already purchased tickets for the Indy 500 and for the Indy car race at the Milwaukee Mile the week after Indy. And I have been sufficiently entertained by the racing I've seen to shell out the extra $7/month for the sports package that includes the Speed channel. Nascar still does nothing for me--they look so big and hulking and slow when you've seen the little pointy cars.

Finally, from our that's-not-really-news department, I'm starting to get the tiniest bit anxious about work, so I'm going to spend this weekend getting as much of the editing out of the way as I possibly can.

2 comments:

Orange said...

My husband used to have a pair of glasses with the magnetic snap-on sunglasses. I took to calling them his magnadoodles.

kStyle said...

Yay, ZS!

Gallbladder imbalances are very common this time of year. Gallbladder and Liver are most active in the spring.