Monday, March 17, 2008

Fride Rice with Flair

When I stay at Friend's house, the bus I take in the morning goes through a whole collection of neighborhoods and ethnicities, most predominantly hispanic and Korean. Needless to say, the plethora of storefront shops and restaurants and such, many with hand-lettered signs or signs with moveable letters, provide a wealth of creative spelling. (My current favorite is part of the title of this post.) This amuses me but does not annoy me; the people making these signs speak at least two languages, which is one more than I do.

However.

On the el yesterday was an official ad from a hospital touting its open MRI services, and in this sign, someone used the wrong whose/who's. He or she--or, given the way I imagine ad campaigns are designed--they used who's instead of whose, most likely because they did not realize that whose is even a word. If it sounds like it has an s at the end, it must have an apostrophe in it!

That, much to your surprise, I'm sure, annoyed me. I started to tell Friend about it when we were sitting at the hockey game. "I saw something that annoyed me on the el." "Where is it on the list? Top five? Top ten?" "Top hundred, anyway." So explained what annoyed me, and he said that it fell into my general grammar-and-spelling rant (which is definitely top five), but I argued that this was more egregious. "Why?" Well, I explained, someone hired someone, either a marketing person (feh! blegh!) or an ad agency of some kind, and that person's or agency's JOB was to write that shit. And they fucked it up, not to mention contributed further to the grammatical downfall of humankind.

(Also, my experience with markety people (that was a typo, but I liked it and decided to keep it) is that they can sling the shit with the best of them, but they don't know a fucking thing about anything except Flair and bullshit. Especially the ones who have an MBA. Don't get me wrong, not everyone who does marketing is an overpaid bozo, and not everyone who has an MBA is a smarmy, overpaid ass, and not even everyone who is both markety AND an MBA is too dumb to tie their shoes and too arrogant to learn how. Some-of-my-best-friends, and all that. But the people who are most likely to annoy me and be overpaid, in both the for-profit and non-profit worlds, are people who do marketing and/or have an MBA, and the friends who have those qualifications would likely agree with me.)

Meanwhile, work continues. I haven't started to panic. Yet. But I'm beginning to see, even more clearly, that this task is like trying to build a bridge, and simultaneously use the bridge to get across the river, and meanwhile needing to requisition people and supplies but having no idea what resources are available or how to get access to them. Let's just say this is going to be a seriously major challenge. But my boss seems to have my back, and he seems happy with my diagnoses and my approach. And did I mention the part about a comma in every paycheck? Because that part rules.

3 comments:

Larry Jones said...

You might have worked at the bakery too long. In the real world, even in jobs where the paycheck has a comma, such a large, critical and daunting task does not fall to the new kid. If I read your earlier post correctly, you are now in charge of getting the money to keep the operation going, and, as you say here, you don't know what resources are available to you or how to get at them. Because you got this task AFTER WORKING THERE A WEEK. I like your attitude, though.

Also: Marketing MBA's are kind of like non-English-speaking foreigners. I admire them for making their way and succeeding in our culture despite their linguistic handicaps. Imagine getting someone to pay you when you couldn't even properly fill out a job app!

Narya said...

I do see what you're saying about the new kid, but this grant is usually due in August; its appearance now was a surprise to everyone. Plus? this is why they hired me. Everyone keeps expecting me to panic or freak out, but I haven't so far. That won't actually help get anything done, is my experience.

Your comment about Marketing MBAs made me giggle.

Anonymous said...

too dumb to tie their shoes and too arrogant to learn how

And there's yer take-away line for the day.