Sunday, February 22, 2009

Book Love

When I was in my early teens, I'd go to the local public library with my dad. I'd rummage around on the "new fiction" shelf, and the "adult fiction" (as opposed to the YA fiction, which I found tedious in multiple dimensions), and maybe look something up with the catalogue. I'd end up with a stack of books, and sitting in the car with that stack always gave me a little thrill. I'd read the first couple of pages of a few of the books, or look again at the description on the inside jacket flap, and I'd decide on an order in which I'd read the books, saving what i thought would be the best book for last.

It turns out that, 35 years later, I still do this.

I zipped down to the library late yesterday afternoon, expecting to pick up one book that was on hold for me and finding that two others had come in as well, and I stood on the train platform and started doing that surveying-my-haul thing.

While rummaging through the library's online catalogue, I stumbled across Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, about his hiking on the Appalachian Trail. I have had to be careful where I read the book, because he makes me laugh out loud--he is a very good writer, and it's extremely funny. (He could use a good editor or spellcheck program, though; I've found three or four egregious typos.) I highly recommend that particular book, and I'm definitely going to find some of his other stuff as well.

The other thing I found online recently is a bakery-cam. Yes, that's right; there is now a live webcam in the back of the bakery where I worked. It's more a stop-action cam--it updates every 10 seconds or so, rather than being a continuous feed--but still. I just peeked in and saw Phil and Bossman making rolls (it looks like they have a new roll divider; I'll have to ask him about that). I have to say that watching it the other day made my stomach clench a little bit: I look at it, and I am nothing but happy that I'm not doing that any more. In fact, being away from it for a year (and being able to watch it on my monitor) has made me realize just how much I hated working there by the time I left, for a combination of reasons.

I liked the people, and I even liked a number of aspects of the work, but I got up every morning and had to will myself to not think about how much I didn't want to be doing it. That kind of numbing isn't good for anyone. I've had office jobs where that was true, too--I think it's unavoidable, no matter what you do; that's why they call it "work" and why they have to pay you to do it--but I never felt anything like I did at the bakery. I think it was the combination of low pay and physically taxing work, along with the knowledge that I had absolutely no future either there or in that line of business generally, that made it so depressing.

And as for today's rant:

Burger King has now managed to completely piss me off with a second ad campaign. The current one has these two guys, one with a bag full of their new mini burgers. He tells his buddy to watch, and shows the bag to a woman, who proceeds to squeal idiotically over them, about how cute they are, etc., as if (a) the burgers are babies and (b) all women squeal uncontrollably at the sight of something small and cute. It is beyond annoying. Their previous campaign featured the announcer saying something like, "people are going to bed hungry tonight," or something like that, the solution being BK's new late hours. It was beyond offensive. Got news for you, Idiot Ad-Writer: many people are going to bed hungry because they can't afford food.

I know! Let's cut taxes! THAT will work, for sure! Or at least that's what the idiot Republicans will tell you. I can't even write about politics, because it will make my keyboard explode. (If I could lose weight by ranting, I'd have it made.)

3 comments:

Epiphenita said...

Narya, I am completely with you on the idiocy of the squealing female/sight of something cute schtick. Why marketers use that, why some men find that charming, why some women seem to think this is an adorable trait leaves me stumped...on that same note, dear woman, why you end your rant on stereotypes with a nod to losing weight is perplexing.

Oh, and thanks for the library memories. I have always felt that having a pile of books on the table just waiting to be read was like the smell of chocolate cake baking...a happy time ahead!

Narya said...

eh; it's not because i have some idea body i'm trying to "achieve," it's more that (a) i really do not feel like buying a whole new wardrobe, and i will soon be at that point unless i at least stop gaining weight and, more important (plus there are clothes i like that used to fit me, damn it, and not that long ago!), (b) i am physically uncomfortable, at least as much because i'm not exercising enough, and i don't like that at all.

Ann Forstie said...

I love Bill Bryson! Make sure you check out I'm a Stranger Here Myself -- it's an easy and delightful read.

Also, if you like good, funny nonfiction, I really really think you should read A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel if you haven't already. It's one of my favorite books.

I too hate Burger King ads, and also that STUPID HORRIBLE IDIOTIC Arby's one that features a woman dressed in an Arby's uniform, bringing her husband a hamburger on a tray, which he requested as his birthday gift. And then the Arby's logo suggestively sprongs up above his head.

Because, apparently, cheap and unhealthy food literally served by one's spouse is highly erotic (to men). Or something.