Monday, February 16, 2009

Sleepytime

I think I matched a personal best yesterday, for amount of time spent doing absolutely nothing. Saturday featured some running around--to get something framed, to pick up a few items at Trader Joe's, and to make tiramisu as a months-late birthday cake for Friend. Friend then fetched me and we hied back to his place to cook dinner (mahi mahi with lime butter; wild and brown rice; and a mix of slow-roasted tomatos, onions, black beans, and mango) and admire his "new" dining room. The room has been there all along, but it has housed computers and such for several years; he has been on a roll lately, rearranging stuff at his house, so he was very pleased to be able to have dinner in the dining room.

Yesterday, however, I sat on the couch in the sunny front room, with a fire in the fireplace and a cat on my lap. I had a book next to me, but I didn't exactly read a lot of it; I did spend a fair amount of time kind of staring into space, or into the fire. Friend continued to move crap around as part of his grand rearranging plan, and occasionally came in to put another log on the fire. I eventually got off my ass to take a shower, and, later, to start cooking dinner (more rice; cauliflower that was steamed and then baked in a cheddar sauce that curdled on me but still tasted good; cabbage that was steamed and then sauteed with onions in a little butter, with black pepper; chicken that marinated all day in lemon and ginger and was then basically poached/pan-fried in the marinade). Friend came in at the last minute to do the chicken, as the rest of the stuff was the time-consuming bit, and I did all that fussing so he could continue his operations. We ate in the dining room again, and then retired to sit in front of the fire for awhile. It was every bit as pleasant as it sounds, and I think he was pleased to be able to get more stuff done..

Today I wandered through Whole Paycheck on my way home, and once again bought more than I should have tried to carry (look! pistachios and cherries! I can make nougat . . . and almond paste--I could have used some of that the other day . . . and that fig and almond thing I like . . . Ginger-O's are on sale; must stock up). I managed to shlep it all home, and even did my laundry, which was the real task for the day. And I cut up the pineapple and the grapefruit and threw in the rest of the frozen cherries and blueberries, so I have fruit salad for the week. (I know; doesn't quite measure up to Brazen Tart's adventures in Kauai, does it . . .)

The tiramisu was tasty enough, though not exactly what I had in mind. First, I had decided to make a dacquoise instead of using ladyfingers, which worked reasonably well except it didn't rise enough and the almond flour wasn't fine enough (I suspect those two things are related). I also made a chocolate dacquoise, merely by dumping in some cocoa powder. I combined mascarpone with some "light" cream cheese and some heavy cream, in an effort to make it a teensy bit less heavy, and that worked okay, and I layered fruit in there, too (frozen raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries), to help cut the sweetness. I put a layer of regular dacquoise on the bottom, soaked it with coffee, smeared some of the cream/cheese mixture, and put on some berries; added the chocolate layer, did the same; and added the top layer of regular dacquoise. I had run out of the cheese mix, so I whipped the rest of my heavy cream and used that as a top layer. Remember those chocolate hazelnut cookies? I had crumbs from them in a bag and used them as a sprinkle on top instead of cocoa powder. I think for the next round I'll make ladyfingers or a spongier sponge cake instead of dacquoise, or possibly a combination.

Meanwhile, thanks to my responding to a stupid poll last week (on purpose, to fight the oh-we-christians-are-so-persecuted crowd), I've ended up on the email lists of the godbag asshats from the AFA and affiliated organizations. There's a part of me that wants to stay on the lists, just so I can keep track of their slimy shit, but I just cannot bear it. What a bunch of assholes. And, of course, what with the long weekend and such, I keep getting email, despite having sent multiple unsubscribe notices. If I'm still getting their shit by Wednesday, there will be problems.

I cannot abide them. They keep wanting to stick their noses into everyone else's underpants, for reasons that make no sense to me. Their views on homosexuality and their opposition to equal rights are offensive. More to the point of the shit they keep sending, they have this notion that somehow christians are being "silenced" and "persecuted." That is such a distortion of reality that it's difficult to take seriously. Are churches being burned? Are christians being sent to concentration camps? Are they being denied the right to vote? Are they forbidden to pray? Of course not; quite the opposite. Or, let's look at it this way: when is the last time the populace of the United States elected as their president someone who isn't at least an avowed christian? How many members of Congress aren't christian? (I suppose their answer to that would depend on whether they count catholics and mormons.) Then explain to me how one can even claim persecution with a straight fucking face.

Okay; that's as much energy as I can muster for the day. (It's a sorry state of affairs when I only have the energy to rant for two paragraphs . . . )

6 comments:

Orange said...

Yeah, I'm getting the AFA alerts. Did you see the one late today promoting Wildmon's "Silenced" book? No mention of "ZOMG we're banned!"--just saying how to get the book and how to promote the book to bookstores and alluding to the documentary series you may have even already bought on DVD! Um, that's the banned documentary, I gather. Such vigorous suppression. The book's foreword is by Ann Coulter and I gotta say, she doesn't strike me as much of a churchgoer.

kStyle said...

the phrase "godbag asshats" made my day. thank you.

verification: "vintif". There is nothing like a good vintif cheese paired with a sparkling fruit wine.

kStyle said...

PS reading an interesting book that posits that people against SSM are just as often sexist as actually homophobic. in other words, many people are more concerned with upholding traditional gender roles (esp in the wake of feminism) than they are concerned with gayness. interesting idea, no?

arbit: his decision was completely arbitrary. He's such an arbit!

Larry Jones said...

I wonder if there's a technologically enforceable form of comment moderation that requires one to use their verification word in a sentence before a comment can be published. If so, I'll bet kStyle would have no problems with it.

kStyle said...

I'm wondering whether some linguists got involved to make the verification "words" mimic natural language more closely. They do seem better of late.

I must scutive off now,
K

Orange said...

Yeah, Blogger definitely upgraded to pronounceable verification words that are easier to stash in your head long enough to retype.

I just did the new AFA poll about Obama's stimulus plan. I am one of the 188 here:

President Obama's $3 trillion spending proposals:

President Obama is right on track. His spending proposals will help turn our economy around = 188

President Obama is off track. His spending proposals will simply make a bad situation worse = 8,005

What the fuck does the economic stimulus plan have to do with "motivating and equipping citizens to change the culture," AFA's slogan? Come off it, crapazoids. You're just a bunch of hateful right-wingers supporting the GOP. The recession isn't at all about sex, porn, Teh Gay, filthy TV programming, or their other main topics.

unseram! Al Unser, am I right or am I right?