Saturday, February 3, 2007

The Comma, Revisited

Except this comma was--get ready for it; drumroll please--in my paycheck! You read that correctly: for the first time in nearly 18 months, i received a paycheck with a comma. Yes, I know I had to work nearly 120 hours over the past two weeks to get that, but nevertheless: a comma!

Second, I got a wonderful phone call last night, from one of my best friends from grad school. He was thinking of me, he said, because of Molly Ivins' death--because I'd turned him on to Molly. I didn't remember that I did that, but I was touched. And, of course, he turned others on to Molly, so the karmic circle--spiral, really--continues.

Third, our anniversary special for the month of February is Linzer torte. One of the store kids--the one who is unbelievably flaky, and who is capable of driving me batshit--came into the back at around 3:30 wanting to know what it was. Bossman pointed out that, if he didn't know what it was, he should have asked at 7:00 am when he came in, rather than, oh, at the end of the day. "So what is it?" Remy wanted to know.

"Linzer torte," says Bossman.

"What's in it?"

"Ground linzes."

"Oh. Okay." And back out to the store he goes, carrying said torte. By that time, I was practically rolling on the floor with laughter, and, really, I'm sitting here giggling now just thinking about it.

Update: This made my day.

3 comments:

kStyle said...

Linzes! Delicious.

kStyle said...

PS Ironic, isn't it, that flakiness is a virtue in many things in a bakery. But not the staff.

Narya said...

And believe me when I tell you that he is, indeed, flaky. And something of a baby queen. I have to remind him occasionally that the space around me is a no-whining zone.