Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Skip That Step

While I don't particularly mind cleaning the bathroom floor, and while I suppose it would be better if I did that task a little more often, I would prefer that the next time I clean the bathroom floor not be occasioned by a toilet overflowing all over it. We can skip that "toilet overflows" step, if you don't mind.

I ended up washing my hands a lot more than usual today--though not necessarily because of the events described in the above paragraph--which, in combination with the cold air, has sucked the life out of them. I will grease them up again before bed, though I am lacking white cotton gloves to put on over the grease. Perhaps I should use honey instead . . . in which case the gloves would be a necessity. I mention honey because a friend called me Monday night with the information (gleaned from the History Channel program he was watching) that the ancient Egyptians used honey as an antibiotic ointment. I wandered over to PubMed and searched honey plus antibiotic, and, sure enough, there seems to be some recent research showing that honey is helpful in that way, even (or perhaps especially) with regard to wounds that aren't healing and antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Honey is one of my favorite substances, and one of the major reasons I couldn't be a vegan. Other reasons: cheese, butter, milk for my cereal, eggs. And meat, too, while we're at it, though I don't eat a lot of it, and I go to some lengths to get meat that wasn't completely mass produced.

I worked my ass off again today. Bossman had to go to a meeting, so I did the orders (for once . . .), which would have been fine, except (a) the crappy computer on which the order system is still lodged, until we get Quickbooks working, decided to flake out, requiring fussing, rebooting, and a bunch more of my time than it should have required and (b) I had a ton of croissants to shape today. I ended up leaving more for tomorrow than I had originally planned, which means tomorrow is going to be a big wad of adventure as well. I don't know what I'm going to do when the markets start (in 97 days, according to Bossman). I get kind of depressed sometimes, not least because I'd really like an actual day off in addition to my weekend days--hell, I don't even get the weekend days completely off, given that I'm usually doing editing and/or going in to the bakery to work on the website. Then I remind myself that this is a no-whining zone, and I have a few sips of STFU and move on. And even though I still want a day off, I'll settle for another paycheck with a comma and another massage.

Bossman ordered a new little case--for macaroons. He got it into his head a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to start making them, and he's been fussing with them off and on since then (when he's not grinding linzes). I'm completely excited about it, too. I told him he needs to make a hazelnut macaroon with a chocolate filling (so he promptly found a hazelnut macaroon formula), and I suggested some fruit ones, and I'm trying to figure felicitous combos of honey, lemon, ginger, and peach (and I suspect BT snorted knowingly at that).

4 comments:

Larry Jones said...

Yeah, me too. I'm almost a vegan, except for the cheese, butter, milk, eggs and meat.

Narya said...

I think it probably seems more possible for people who are lactose-intolerant. I like meat, but could do without it; I already eat quite a bit less meat than most people in this country, I suspect. But those dairy products . . . . mmmmmm.

That Brazen Tart said...

Snort!

Narya said...

I see your snort, and raise you a giggle!