Friday, July 20, 2007

What I Said

Hi [HiringPerson]--

Thanks so much for your thorough and thoughtful reply to my questions. You definitely have a great operation going there (and the baking kitchen made me long for sunlight in my workspace!). However, despite my desire for change, I'm not willing to take a pay cut to move. Given the extended training period, and the pay rate after that period, it sounds like you're looking for someone with a different skill set than I have.

Nevertheless, I'm attaching my resume so you can keep it on file. Let me also note that I'm expert in Microsoft Office applications and have extensive project management experience, in case you find you need someone with that skill set.

I did very much enjoy meeting you and seeing the cafe (I'd definitely recommend it to friends in the neighborhood!)--thank you again for your time.


I didn't want to just slam the door--thank you Larry and kStyle--but I really didn't want to get into a stupid negotiation, either. If you want someone to make your cupcakes, scones, and brownies, and do it reliably and reasonably well, okay, no problem; that's probably the right rate for that. If you want someone who's going to bring more to the table, well, I can be that person, but I'm not going to do it for that pay. She noted that they offer "flexibility" in scheduling, but, frankly, I have that now, to some extent. They offer no paid days off, either--hell, I get more than that now, given that the bakery is closed six days/year and I get paid for at least some of them.

My Friend reminds me that I'm getting by with my current situation, and, of course, I am, and the new guy (who's back from Paris as of yesterday) is a huge help, meaning I might even be able to work fewer hours. In short, I can go along like this for awhile, at least while I (a) try to find new clients and/or (b) try to find a job that provides more of what I want. It's still tiring and grueling and blah blah blah, but whatever.

4 comments:

Larry Jones said...

Well, OK, then. That was polite and professional. The door's still open, if they ever get around to adjusting their thinking. But I wonder if maybe (like me) you don't really want to get involved in any negotiation, dumb or otherwise. You might need people. Is there such a thing as a bakery headhunter, who could talk bucks and benefits, while you just did what you do best?

Narya said...

I am particularly bad at negotiation, as a matter of fact--that email took way more mental effort than is obvious.

the thing is, for positions at this level, there typically isn't a whole lot of negotiation--it's a back-of-the-house food service job, which means crappy pay. Hey, if I want crappy pay, no benefits, and long hours (albeit with some flexibility in my schedule, if I'm willing to sacrifice the pay), I got that already, at one of the best bakeries in the country. I doubt I'll hear from them again, though I suppose i should think about what might actually make me move to that place.

kStyle said...

Keep us posted. My fingers are crossed. Thought that makes it hard to type.

PS If you hate negotiation, don't visit the Middle East. Stores do not even post prices; you're expected to dicker.

landismom said...

It's hard to pull off one of those kind of emails, I think you did great.