Turns out, my mom has clostridium difficile, also known as C diff, which is mostly a problem for people who are old, have weakened immune systems, have chronic renal failure, etc. And, of course, mom manages to hit several jackpots there. I talked to her a little, and she sounds tired and worn-out, which, given that she hasn't actually eaten anything in five days or so is hardly a surprise. After wandering around the intertubes for a bit, I'm a little more worried about this than anyone else is. It could well respond to the drugs they're giving her, and she could avoid a relapse (though the chances are about 50/50, given her assorted conditions), and so on, but I'd say there's some chance that this could be serious, and possibly life-threatening. I've decided not to share that tidbit with my parents, and probably not with Bro (though that could change, depending on what happens in the next day or two), but it's not like I can forget about it.
Grueling day at work, today, too. In answer to kstyle's question following the previous post, yes, this variety would definitely improve my attitude toward the bakery; before Lole showed up, I'd get up every morning and feel like I had to go run a marathon that day. A certain number of croissants had to be produced, and I had to produce them, pretty much single-handedly: a lot of croissant work to do, on a reasonably tight schedule, AND no time to do anything the least bit different or fun. Today there was so much to do--Phil's absence this week, plus a new bread account, plus tomorrow's farmers' markets, put everything into even more overdrive than is usual for a Friday. And, yes, Woody droned on and on and on, and he sticks his commentary into every fucking conversation. For example, I was musing with Lole that brie and strawberries might make an interesting croissant scrap/monkey bun combo, and Woody had to drone on about how brie just melts and you get grease all over everything and this wad of cheese remnants, and HE'D much rather have strawberries and parmesan, he thinks that would rock, blah, blah, blah. I know he means well, but, frankly, I don't trust his palate any more than I trust his dough-making skills.
I made more of the mini chocolate silk tarts today--all six I made yesterday were gone this morning, and most of the ten I made this morning had been sold by the time I left today. At least three of the five hazelnut fruit tarts were gone, too; I'd intended to make more today, but decided to wait until tomorrow. I got stuck making funeral cake today, because Bossman had promised one to a customer. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to be a utility infielder, as that's what was needed today. Even moreso tomorrow, by the sound of it: Bossman said, "I'm making half of everything I know how to make today, and I'm making the other half tomorrow." I'm going to try to get in as early as I can to help out, and we asked Lole to come in, too, even though he's supposed to work only Monday to Friday.
Thus, I need to get some sleep.
Friday, July 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My grandma had C diff. She probably caught it in her first nursing home, where she went for rehab after a hospitalization. Then when she moved to a new (better, cleaner) nursing home for good a few months later, she tested positive for C diff, which would explain the diarrhea that she'd had for a good long while. She was in quasi-isolation with a senile roommate also positive for C diff until the bug cleared (she took a long course of antibiotics for it, as I recall), and then moved downstairs to a room with a non-senile, C diff-free roommate. I think it took a month or two to clear, but then she stopped being vexed by recurrent diarrhea. When she died nine months later, it was her heart and completely unrelated to infection.
Gram was 93 and medically frail when this was going on, thought not in kidney failure. So don't discount the non-horror stories about C diff—sometimes it's eminently treatable.
Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that she's got the less-problematic version/outcome. It must be stressful to go through, with a stepped-up week at work.
Post a Comment