Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Day, Part 736

No, the thrill is not gone. My orientation is a week from Tuesday, and my first day in the office is the day after that, and meanwhile I have to finish editing the Horrible Manuscript (I have five chapters left) and will also do another small editing job, offered today, that I should have by the end of the week. Ideally, I'd like to have them all completed before I start the new job, but no big deal if I don't. I was pleased that the production editor who provided today's job expressed a hope that I'd still be available for editing, because I will.

Tuesday night Friend and I went to a fish joint near his house. They were doing a special menu for Fat Tuesday, plus on Tuesdays they have five entrees priced at $12, plus on Tuesdays they have half-price bottles of wine. We went there once this summer and have wanted to go back; the food was quite good, and the special prices really make it worthwhile if you like fish. Last time we went it was 95 degrees out, so it was kind of entertaining to be going back when it was snowing and sleeting and generally being incredibly shitty winter weather. Plus? Friend asked, and they said yes, to providing us with an appetizer-sized portion of one of the Fat Tuesday specials, which was alligator tail. Yes, I've now had alligator. It didn't have a very strong flavor at all--not like lamb or even beef--but it had a very dense, meaty texture. It was good, and I'd get it again.

Yesterday's Simple Task--FedExing chapters of the manuscript back to the production editor--turned into a more complicated affair than I expected. I left at around 4:30, which shouldn't have been a problem--I'd go to the 6:00 box outside the post office, then head to a coffee shop I've been meaning to check out on the way back. I trudged to the post office . . . and the FedEx box was gone, apparently removed by FedEx people. I knew where another one was, though it was in the completely opposite direction from the original one, and I made it in time, so all was well. The weather was remarkable: when I left, it was big puffy snow, on top of a whole lot of rain, slush, and sleet. It was pretty to see, but a mess in which to walk (huge puddles at every corner). Plus, I had my glasses rather than my contacts, so, rather quickly, I couldn't see. I didn't mind getting home and warm and dry.

I have a zen shiatsu session this afternoon (I know; what a difficult life), which means I'll be near the chocolate store (which means I must buy some), and I need to get some baking supplies, because I want to try the recipe for a lemon tart that the Brazen Tart passed along. (I've been wondering if I can add some ginger to it, because I've got some in the refrigerator, and I'm also wondering how to adjust the recipe to replace some of the sugar with honey.) Otherwise, I haven't been doing much of anything: Buying some clothes (despite my insistence that I Don't Need to Buy Clothes--at least they were on sale); scheduling a trim for my hair; working out (though not today); blah blah blah. Another week off would have been nice, probably, but the paycheck will be nicer. Wow; a regular paycheck, complete with a comma. No, the thrill definitely is not gone. I'm sure it'll go soon enough--it's "work," after all, not "play" or "fun"--but the paycheck with a comma will make it much easier to bear. (Remind me of that when i start to bitch.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Narya,
Good luck at the new job! I hope the stress level is less then the bakery.

Signed,
Former FPS classmate

kStyle said...

To commas!

That Brazen Tart said...

I see no issue with adding the ginger other than that fresh ginger is pretty fibrous and might be distracting. Perhaps if you throw it in with the lemon slices, the sugar will soften it up a bit. I also don't see a problem with swapping some of the sugar for honey as the curd gets most of its body from the eggs.

Anonymous said...

I see I'm somewhat after the fact, but just in case it comes up again, young ginger is less fibrous. Can you get hold of Meyer lemons? They make a great pie, peel and all, so I bet they'd make a good tart too.

Alligator. Yum. The tail is the best part. it's a lot like shark IME, and since I don't have the heart to eat shark anymore, guess I'll have to look harder for alligator. I'm told that the big monitor lizards taste a lot like gator too.