Thursday, February 7, 2008

Regrets: Only a Few

I've been thinking that I quit the bakery just in time, but the pain in my sacroiliac joint is making me think that I waited a little too long. I've mostly been ignoring it, because that's what I do, but today--even with the zen shiatsu--it's been pretty painful. Clearly I need to take some antiinflammatories, and not just sporadically, but regularly, and for a few days, and see if that helps. If it's anything like the shoulder injury I had a few years ago, a week or so of that will take the inflammation down enough so my body can heal the rest of it, perhaps with the judicious application of some yoga. But I have to do something; the pain has moved into the groin area, sometimes radiating down my leg, and it's pretty constant, so I think the "ignore it" treatment has proved to be worthless this time.

This whole thing has been kind of surreal, really. A year ago I was embroiled in working way too many hours at the bakery, and a year before that I was embroiled in Chuck's breakdown and the beginning of the end of our marriage, and a year before that I was planning pastry school and a wedding. Even this past couple of months has been surreal. Yes, I know I planned to quit the bakery, and I had reserves and such, but I applied for this job the day I left to visit my family, so that must have been January 3rd--less than a week after my last day--and a week from Tuesday I show up for my orientation. And? I'm making more in the first two months of the year than I would have made at the bakery, but working about a third or a quarter of the hours. My lesson from this (not to mention from the previous half a century) is that you never know what the fuck is going to happen.

I've also been feeling fortunate of late. Not just for getting A job, though of course that is a huge part of it; it's also the kind of job I've managed to get. Several things i have tried to do that were of the follow-your-dream sort simply have not worked out for me: you'll notice that I'm neither a professor nor a bakery owner, and the start-up company for which I worked went belly-up as well. On the other hand, the work I've managed to find this time around will at least put my talents to use on behalf of people who need help in a serious way. All things considered, if i can't do what I would have loved to do, then I'm happier to be able to help someone else. I know better than to think that I would do well in a corporate environment, and I'm relieved to not have to start looking in those arenas for a job.

Let's face it: every job has some version of memos about TPS reports and TPS cover sheets. But personally I find it easier to deal with the crap that goes with a job and a bureaucracy when it's on behalf of helping people in need rather than, say, enriching already-bloated wallets of executives and shareholders. Don't get me wrong, I don't think all profit is wrong, exactly--I was going to BE a capitalist, fer chrissakes, and I wasn't going to run it as a charity--but I still draw a distinction between small businesses and massive corporations.

Ah, well, time for bed. I don't suppose you get to be this age without a few regrets or what-ifs.

3 comments:

kStyle said...

A good chiropractor may be able to help your SI joint and radiating pain.

...If you lived here, I could recommend one, but I don't think you'll be flying to MA to see a chiro.

Narya said...

I actually am not a fan of chiro; I know to much about the "theory" behind it to keep from getting eye strain (from rolling my eyes). I have managed to take NSAIDs for 12+ hours now, and it's already helping, so I'll go with that for awhile. And more shiatsu!

kStyle said...

I'm not sure many chiropractors still believe the theory. Mine just seems to be putting the bones back in place.

But, NSAIDs and ZS it is!