Remember that part about how I was cleaning out everything?
Yeah, well, right now my fridge has so much in it that I'd need a crowbar to wedge anything else in there. This is partly because I have the stockpot in there . . . and beets, kale (I think that's what it is; it's in that neighborhood, and a big bunch was only a buck), more beets, a dozen eggs for the baking, herbs (rosemary and oregano; no basil to be had) for the tomato-roasting, and the veggies (carrots, celery, onions) from the stock, which I've decided I'm going to puree and freeze, because I don't see why it wouldn't be useful for thickening purposes. There're also multiple wads of cheese, because I stocked up at the market (stravecchio, asiago, and Midnight Moon aged goat cheese), and apples from last week's expedition that will be turned into cake tomorrow. I also bought about 22 pounds of tomatos. (No; really; it was more than 20 pounds total.)
I went to the market early this morning, and came back with a full load. While I was there, I also stopped in to the Fedex place to see what size boxes they had and stopped at the bank on the way home. When I came back here, I finished packing up the water tank and measured it, and realized it would, in fact, fit in their largest box, and why not take it down there today. All of the Fedex places required shlepping on some form of public transportation (with a very heavy, awkward, large bundle--more upper-body workout!), and I knew the one near the market actually had the box I needed, plus it's close to the el, so I just went back there, even though it's pretty far (in terms of miles) from my apartment. But? Success! And that's when I got the second batch of tomatos.
I came home and started the chicken stock, then cleaned up a bit and started gathering crap for my trip next week and sorted laundry but made an executive decision to actually do the laundry when I return.
So Sunday will be Oven Day: the tomatos and the apple cake and the beets, and, if I'm sufficiently ambitious, maybe some breakfast muffins or ginger cookies. I'm tired right now and would like to go to sleep, it being midnight and all, but my Phillies are not doing well, in part because an ump missed a major call, which led to runs that would not otherwise have scored. It's after 1:00 am in Philadelphia, and cold, I'm sure, and damp, because it was raining earlier, and the score is tied in the middle of the 8th. Oh--and I want to finish packing and maybe do some needlepoint (!) tomorrow.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey, if you want some basil, I have plenty growing on my back porch. Also rosemary and spearmint. Yours for the taking!
I'd love some basil! I never did get any at the market this year.
Sounds like fun. Enjoy the full fridge!
Post a Comment