I may be one of the few people in the vicinity who is happy about how My Team(s) performed this weekend. All of Friend's teams lost in the past two days, which will not make him happy. Although DaBears won, which will make Chuck happy (and the Packers lost, which will also please him, as Packers fans and Bears fans are required to loathe the Other Team--seriously, it's like a law or something), and the White Sox managed to avoid being swept, the Cubs, as I'm sure you know, collapsed. Completely. Despite having The Best Record in the League, they lost their series in three straight games. Their offensive effort was pitiful (which is a generous estimation), and the Dodgers lit up the Cubs' pitchers like it was fucking Christmas.
However.
The Phillies won, which is the only thing about which I care. Hard to say how they will do against the Dodgers, who have been surging since July, so I make no predictions.
The American League continues to dick around. (The American League annoys me, not least because the designated hitter should be outlawed by means of a Constitutional amendment.) The White Sox are not out of it yet. The Angels & BoSox are tied in the 9th, as I type, and I'm not even sure where that series stands; I'm torn between those teams, because, although I like the BoSox in principle, if I have to pick an AL team, they have J.D. Drew on the team, and, as a Phillies fan, I am required to dislike Drew. Which I do. Along with fans in EVERY CITY IN WHICH HE HAS PLAYED.
In my world, I have spent the weekend rearranging my stuff, and even getting some new stuff. I threw out a bunch of crap, and I bagged a bunch of clothes to give away, and I switched crap between closets, and I did laundry, and I switched out summer & winter clothes, and I put flannel sheets on the bed. Much of this was motivated by the fact that I bought a rowing machine (!). Seriously: I'd been watching Craigslist off and on, looking for a used one, and I found a top-end machine for $525 (this thing normally retails for $1200). The best part is that the guy who was looking to get rid of it (a) lives on the FAR southwest side, i.e., about 40 miles from my house, and (b) it didn't fit into K's car, and (c) Friend was out of town all weekend, but (d) the guy had to go to his sons' cross-country meet 7 MILES FROM MY HOUSE, in his only visit to the north side of the city all year, so he dropped it off for me.
So I spent lots of time rearranging my crap, and cleaning (except vacuuming my bedroom, because it has a carpet but my vacuum cleaner is Dead, Jim), and a little time editing. And did I mention I have a new rowing machine, which means I don't have to walk to and from work every day? (I put in more than 20 miles this week, and I'm here to tell you that it wears a little thin, plus doesn't really get the heartrate up, plus doesn't work the upper body.) Also: cheaper than a year's membership at the gym, and I don't have to go anywhere to use it.
There's probably more. Okay, there's lots more, but I'm tired and must sleep now.
Did I mention I got a rowing machine? for my apartment?
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats on the rowing machine! I hope you will be very happy together.
Post a Comment