I read, in several of my cookbooks, that one can eat the beet greens as well as the beets. After today's trip to Whole Paycheck, I decided to test that statement, and discovered that, yes, one can, and they're tasty. What I did: Roast beets, which will take a half hour to 45 minutes; after they cool, slice thin and julienne; rinse greens thoroughly and spin; remove the rib, then chop the greens; heat some olive oil, toss in some garlic, then the greens, then the roasted beets; saute for awhile, with a splash of balsamic vinegar and sea salt and and a little bit of butter (I'd've added pignoli, as well, if I'd had any) dump over whole wheat pasta, with some cheese. I would substitute farro or rice, except that I love pasta so very much.
Now I just have to remember that I had beets for dinner, else I will be surprised when I arise tomorrow and perform the morning ablutions. I also bought some kale, with which I'm going to make a soup that involves beans and tomato paste and sage and I don't know what-all; I don't have any sage, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
I had hoped to do more baking today, but, alas, that did not happen. Neither did rowing or showering, both of which were also on the list. I tell myself that it is good for my skin/hair to not shower all the time, but by the time I end up showering, I am less convinced this is true. In short, i start feeling seriously skeevy, even if I do nothing more strenuous than sitting around on the couch or buying groceries or having dinner with a friend (the last of which I did do last night, and it was good to see her).
Can you tell that I'm enjoying cooking again? I'm really glad to have that pleasure back in my life; I forgot how much I missed it. Or, more likely, I was just blocking it out, from exhaustion. As I did Tuesday, today I went to the WP near the bakery, and I was a little surprised at how visceral and negative my reaction was; I could practically feel the bile rising in my throat. I probably should think about this a bit, because it's not entirely clear to me just what is causing that reaction. Fear, is my guess--the fear that I felt at the time, about what was going to happen, about what my options really were, about what I was going to be able to do next, about what was going to happen with Chuck. I ended up just trying to swallow all of that, or put it aside, or something, because there was absolutely nothing else to be done about it; it felt as though none of it was in my hands at all. Eh; no need to dwell on it.
This weekend feels like it has been much longer than four days. Speaking of plans, it'll be nice to shower regularly and have regular conversations with actual people (other than my mother).
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yesterday my nephew was eating an inordinately large quantity of my mother-in-law's cranberry sauce (the real stuff). I told him to watch out for red poop, but apparently cranberries' pigment gets digested better than beets' does. Why do you suppose that is? Are the beets just more densely pigmented?
For me (as long as we're being explicit) it was the ruby-red pee--THAT is hard to miss. I don't know about the whys, though; interesting question. I think that beets are also used as a natural dye (or they used to be, anyway), which also suggests that there's something different about their pigmentation. Then again, cranberries will stain, too . . .
Or, in short: dunno, but good question.
Incidentally, not that I"m surprised, given the source, but it's so nice to see a plural possessive with the apostrophe in the right place! A rarity these days. (Or day's, as most signs would have it . . .)
Post a Comment