Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Discworld
Why did I not know about or read Terry Pratchett until now? I wandered over to the park at lunch with "Guards! Guards!" and sat on a bench and laughed out loud. The best thing? He's written a zillion books! It'd be like suddenly discovering Donald Westlake or Ed McBain--a veritable treasure trove.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Really? I read a few of his books ("Reaper Man" and "Equal Rites" and "Mort" as well as "Good Omens," which he wrote with Neil Gaiman), and while I was indeed amused, I was less than impressed.
But maybe that's just my taste. I don't particularly care for Neil Gaiman, either.
If you haven't read anything by Jasper Fforde yet, hie thee to the library and check out "The Eyre Affair."
I liked "Good Omens". It's a good chuckle. It seemed rather cinematic to me, like I was reading a movie.
I'm a big McBain fan, which is saying a lot, because I generally dislike police procedurals. His cops are so human, though. Haven't tried Pratchett or Westlake.
Yeah, it's not Deep or anything, but it's amusing, and I'm all about amusing. Also, with the whole library-free-books thing, i can gulp them down and not feel like I've just had a really expensive treat. (I really only like to buy books that (a) are by one of the authors whose books I buy, (b) I will reread, and/or (c) I can get at the used book store for a couple of bucks.)
larry, you really have to read Westlake. Start with "Bank Shot" and work your way through all the Dortmunder books, but there are a bunch of others as well. he & McBain are buds, IIRC.
I've long been a stickler for going to the library rather than purchasing books, but I've recently discovered that the used book store is an even better deal for me personally, because 1. I can take as long as I want to read the book, 2. then I can sell it back, and 3. I would spend $3/book on library overdue fines, anyway, AND feel guilty about it.
PS Plus, our town library is never thrilled to receive donations, and sometimes downright hostile about it.
Man, k, that makes my library look downright benevolent: You can keep a book for 3 weeks and renew it (online) 3 times, and I think it's something like 10 cents/day.
I don't buy used books because I don't like the way they smell. Library books smell different, somehow. I also don't read many books that have been printed on fuzzy paper -- I hate how the pages feel.
The only books I buy these days are reference and some design books. Things I know I'll want on hand for information or inspiration or a bit of eye candy.
The nice lady who runs the used book store wipes all the book covers down with a gentle antibacterial solution, and they smell just fine. I know this because I expressed surprise at how unusually good her store, and its books, smell.
Since Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimer's (way young for that too, dammit-squared) his books are suddenly harder to find in the used-book stores. Yeah, gross.
I have to be in the right mood, and then I can gulp down three or four of his books in as many days. I do really like them; I just have to be in a receptive state of mind. Sometimes I'm just all "Don't Try to Make Me Laugh Dammit."
Anyone who doesn't get him: Try reading the stuff aloud. Srsly.
Post a Comment