The thing about getting a summer cold--or whatever it is that has sucked all of the energy and life out of me today--is that it's more difficult to implement the go-to-bed-early plan, because it is still light out, despite being 8 pm. Normally I am all about the stays-light-late thing, but tonight I want to be asleep, and I know that would be easier if it were dark. I hope I feel better tomorrow--it's not that I feel Sick, or even as if I have a genuine cold, but I actually left work before noon today, because lifting my arms to move the mouse around took way more energy than I was able to muster.
Let's see. There was more escalation after the last post, but I eventually just defused it by wandering over to Chuck's workplace after my acupuncture appointment and asking to see him for a couple of minutes and just saying, look, I don't want to do this any more, this awful backing and forthing. (He has this idea that we'll each apologize for the things we've done wrong and shake hands and then we'll be fine, but I have multiple doubts about that.) We even managed to have dinner Friday night with CK, to whom I handed over an old laptop I'm not using, a computer game he used to like to play with me that runs on that computer, and one set of my Tolkien trilogy (the new/"good" set, because I can always replace it, plus I have another one sitting around, and he is without any since the fire).
Saturday I did some editing and the Friend fetched me so we could go to dinner and have some ice cream and end up back at his house. Yesterday I made the honey lemon tart again, except when I macerated the lemons, I peeled them, then peeled off the pith and tossed it, and then sliced the innards; it was MUCH better. It still had that sweet/tart thing going on, but it didn't have the bitter edge that characterized the last version. Now I need to work on the filling a little more; it wasn't quite as firm and custardy as I would have liked.
I used the leftover whites to attempt chocolate-coffee macarons, but I had no egg white powder and they ended up being a bit runny. Still, broken-up pieces piled with mascarpone and fresh raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries . . . well, it wasn't everything I had in my head, but it worked just fine, and we had two desserts to go with our venison and our asparagus with orange butter (more orange than butter, but oh so good).
Still have piles of editing to do, though I'm enjoying these two projects--both of them need a lot of work, which is more fun than just tagging headings and the like.
I haven't figured out what to do for my birthday yet. Friend suggested I throw a picnic at his house on the 12th (the day before, but it's a Saturday), but, after initial enthusiasm, I found myself not actually wanting to do it. I think I didn't want to organize it, mostly, and I just felt kind of funny throwing a party for myself, you know? Trust me, we'll still manage plenty of entertainment.
You know it's time for me to get some sleep when I can't even work up a good rant about anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment