Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What's the frequency, Narya?

I got nothin.

There's some drama at work--my boss is hospitalized, but it may not be Serious-serious, and I don't really feel comfortable providing more detail here. The other drama at work is that Boss's boss is just . . . a pain. In so very, very many ways that it's hard to count them all. Patronizing? Check. A micro-manager--but without the benefit of knowing the details at least some of the time? Check. There's more, but I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that this person drives me nuts, and it will be especially difficult without my boss as a buffer. OTOH, my boss's counterpart in the sibling organization is quite good, quite helpful, and I feel comfortable going to him for advice, not least because I don't report to him. I like my boss, and we're developing a style of working together that works for both of us, but his boss would drive me completely insane as my direct superior. (Seriously: I'd be job-hunting.)

Friend and I continue in our freewheeling ways--R.E.M. last Friday night, and this Friday it looks like a double bill of Phil Lesh & Friends, followed by Mr. Blotto. (The National we didn't hear much of; Modest Mouse was very boring--could not understand any of the lyrics, and the music was thrashy and non-musical; but R.E.M. was great.) Saturday is a Drinking & Writing event at a local bar--complete with poster drawn by Ralph Steadman--in honor of Hunter S. Thompson, that looks like too much fun to miss, even if it's completely decadent. Kinda the point, really. After that, he'll go off to play hockey (which will limit his consumption during the event) and I'll meet a pastry-school friend for dinner. He's playing a lot of hockey these days; he's on two teams, and right now he's got two to four games a week. Unfortunately for our little Sunday cooking adventures, he's got Sunday games the next couple of weeks--but I've got plenty of editing to occupy me (and fill my coffers), and I'm sure we'll work around it all.

Anyway, part of why I got nothin' is that I'm trying to get a batch of editing done before Friday, which will make the Friday/Saturday nexus more fun and relaxed. I'll probably devote some of Sunday to it, too, in an effort to clear the deck for the next job, which just came over the transom today. The thing I have now further convinces me that people are idiots. The author apparently has absolutely no knowledge of the whole outline format--even though the book is actually an outline. The person follows a numbered level with another numbered level, and also never learned the proper levels. Okay, that's kinda surprising (especially because this person probably has a college education), but the best bit of stupidity so far is that the author decided, in the fifth chapter, to add a level to the outline . . . on TOP of the previously used levels. I'm tagging everything properly, but it's going to take a good comp person and a good proofreader to make this thing actually readable. The great thing for me, though--and the crappy thing for production editors everywhere--is that I don't actually have to care about that, beyond trying to do my part as well as possible.

2 comments:

Orange said...

Crazy outlining! *shakes fist* I feel for you.

Narya said...

Yeah, I have to wonder sometimes. Seriously--does anyone know how to DO anything any more? My dad--who has a high school education--could still diagram a sentence, but I fear most people wouldn't know where to begin.