Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bad Citizenryness

There is a short list of things I Should Be Doing, at the top of which is "finish reassembling the rowing machine," but, obviously, I am not doing those things. I left work at 6 today, and must go in early tomorrow (so I can finish this heinous salary allocation task and then leave early to do a smoking-cessation-group guest appearance), so I am vegetating tonight.

Speaking of vegetables, for dinner I had some of the beets that I roasted & froze a few weeks ago, combined with some chopped spinach and thrown over pasta. It was extremely tasty--and the beets turned everything, including the pasta, an incredible ruby color. I could have taken a picture of it, but I still have not obtained the accessories for my camera. Oh, wait--I don't believe I mentioned that I found a camera. It's a purplish-pink color, and Friend's friend was trying to give me crap about that--to which I said, "You know what color my camera is? The color of my camera is 'free.'" Which he had to agree was a good color.

Anyway, I don't have either the charger or the wire-to-dump-the-pix-onto-my-computer piece, and I have yet to track them down. I printed the manual--found online--but it's not entirely clear where I can find the pieces. Until I get the latter, I am hesitant to use the camera, because I don't want to drain the battery, and until I get the former, I can't actually do anything with the photos.

I don't have much to add. If I were more ambitious, I could link you to a bunch of posts I've enjoyed recently, but I am WAY too lazy for that exercise at the moment. If I were more thoughtfulnessy, I could muse about this or that, but, again, too much effort. And the thinking! Do not want. At least not until I'm back at work tomorrow morning. I do wish I could gin up the effort to fix the rowing machine and then get on it--I did most of the hard part last night--but, again, motivational deficiency disorder has struck.

I also remain unenthused about the Thanksgiving pot luck at work, and now plan to skip the whole event. We have to produce a report by Friday for Boss's Boss, for one thing, and I do not have the time or inclination to cook or bake tomorrow night, for another thing, not least because tomorrow is going to be another long day. I feel a little bad-citizeny about my avoidance, but fuck it. I can't imagine that my presence or absence is going to affect staff morale by a jot or a tittle. Also, and I realize this sounds snooty and I don't care, my coworkers eat a lot of highly processed crap--which means I don't particularly trust them to tell the difference between something that I made (and into which I put a fair amount of time and effort and so on) and some random pile of sugary shit. If I weren't so busy I might go ahead and make something anyway (little carrot-cake bites, for example), but eh.

7 comments:

Orange said...

My god, I love random piles of sugary shit.

Okay, you know how Blogger's word verification thingies look more like words and thus are easier to retype than something like ytkkscli? My word right now is horking.

Narya said...

Except "horking" IS a word!!

kStyle said...

Speaking of Thanksgiving, it happens to be aligning with my sudden chutney obsession. I found a recipe online for cranberry chutney. I am SO EXCITED.

...If only I were hosting. Seems rude to bring the cranberry as a guest.

kStyle said...

PS And I just got "senta" for a verification, which sounds like a fruit-flavored diet soft drink to me.

Senta--that's refreshment!

"Exilly" yours,
K

Narya said...

You could bring the chutney as a gift . . . it'll go with their leftovers, presumably, and they can either serve it or not. And share the recipe!

Senta--refreshing!

My word: oodegm (which fits with horking . . .)

Ann Forstie said...

I skip company parties once in a while. Sometimes I just don't want to socialize, even if there's free food involved. No one ever says anything, but if they did, it'd be a good opportunity to explain introversion.

Once my homemade carrot cake with homemade cream cheese frosting came in second in a dessert competition next to a key lime pie whose sole ingredients were Jell-O, Cool Whip, key lime yogurt, and a store-bought graham cracker crust. There's no accounting for taste, I guess.

(Of course, I ate and enjoyed a can of princess Spaghettios last night, so I shouldn't really talk.)

My word: bediwhea

That Brazen Tart said...

"Horking" is definitely a word. Just ask Lloyd T Dog. He spent all Sunday night demonstrating. No sleep in the Brazen house. He's much better now.

You are correct about the "random piles." That's why I never made a from-scratch cake for any wedding cake I ever did. I knew it wouldn't be worth the effort, and so many people prefer cake mix cake, anyway, because they grew up eating it.

And that's the "truta!"